Sunday, September 24, 2006

As Big as a Housecat

Here I am with Obi the cat. This tableau is set against a multi-hued background and is meant to show the duality of man/beast existence. The drama, and the unanswered questions, are what make this piece particularly moving, I think.
Anthropomorphism is a human tradition. "He is as fierce as a tiger" or "He has a face like a mackerel" or, as in my case, "He is as big as a housecat"; these are all common phrases we use every day, and indicate a strong underlying need to be fierce, or whatever.
And here I am with my tree, a Bigleaf Maple.
This photo was taken at my Blessing Way last week. After the tree was planted amidst great Pampering and Circumstance, Dad recited a poem of inspiration, and hopefully one day I too will become a Great Warrior.
"Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe"...
It still gives me shivers.